maybe i’m cheating by calling this a “recipe”, but it’s been one of my favorite things to eat recently, so i wanted to share. remember that simple skillet roasted asparagus we had earlier this week? well, if you’re lucky, you didn’t eat all of it yet and still have a bit leftover. if so, you’re well on your way to simple yet delicious scrambled eggs with roasted asparagus. and if you already ate all of your roasted asparagus, luckily it only takes 10 minutes to make more.
once the asparagus is roasted, this recipe basically comes together in the time it takes to scramble eggs. i’ve been enjoying it for breakfast but honestly, there’s no reason it couldn’t be part of a simple lunch or dinner. i paired my scrambled eggs with avocado toast but imagine a side salad would be a great accompaniment, or you could put the eggs on the toast in place of (in addition to?!) the avocado. choices!
and since we’re attempting to focus on seasonal ingredients here, i do feel compelled to comment on the tomatoes. normally i would be super skeptical about tomatoes in a plastic box on the grocery store shelf in march but… i’ve actually been really enjoying campari tomatoes recently. no one is paying me to say that; these are just some tasty little tomatoes and since it’s march and good tomatoes are, you know, 6 months away, i just wanted to share. if you can’t find them though, feel free to substitute in cherry or grape tomatoes (my other winter tomato go-to).
ok, so, eggs, asparagus, tomatoes, and, finally, feta! yum. i add just a little bit of crumbled feta to the eggs before i cook them not only for the flavor but also because it seems to help prevent the eggs from getting too dry and tough (not cooking them to death also helps with this, buuuut, sometimes i’m trying to get my toast situated and…). if you don’t have feta on hand, i have also enjoyed this recently with sharp cheddar shredded over the eggs or grated pecorino romano sprinkled over the top (either one added after the eggs have cooked so the flavor doesn’t get lost). again, choices! what would you pair with scrambled eggs with roasted asparagus? comment below or show me on instagram (@tasty_seasons)!
scrambled eggs with roasted asparagus
- 2 eggs or 1 egg + ¼ cup egg whites
- 4 – 6 leftover roasted asparagus spears, cut into ~1/2” pieces
- 1 – 2 campari tomatoes, cut into ~1/2” pieces (i cut it in half vertically, then each half into 4 wedges, then each wedge in half) (or substitute ~6 grape tomatoes cut in half or ~4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters)
- ~1 tablespoon crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon oil, if your skillet sticks with eggs
- heat a small skillet over medium/medium-low heat, with the oil in the pan, if your pan needs it.
- crack the eggs/egg + egg white into a bowl and scramble with a fork until combined. add the asparagus, tomatoes, and feta. scramble lightly to combine (i like to get the tomato seeds spread out in the eggs a bit for maximum tomato goodness flavor throughout the eggs).
- once the pan/oil is hot, add the egg mixture (be careful of splatters if you’re using oil). once the edges of the egg begins to set, use a heat safe rubber spatula to pull the edges to the center, gently. continue gently and slowly bringing the edges to the center until the eggs are cooked through the way you like them.
- immediately transfer to a plate and enjoy!
nutrition facts are based on using 2 eggs
Leave a Reply