here’s the thing: for a long time, i confused not liking mayo with not liking slaw. turns out i LOVE crunchy vegetables paired with a light, slightly spicy, sesame flavored dressing. yum! crunchy asian slaw, why are you not a picnic and barbeque side dish staple the way your disgusting distant cousin is?
seriously, why are we putting up with glop when we could be having crunch? i realize that a fair number of people must like coleslaw, based on its prevalence at every summer gathering, and i’m now offending most of this large group of people, but just hear me out for a crunchy second, ok?
snappy matchstick cut radishes! crunchy “red” (it’s clearly purple, why do we call it red?) cabbage! sweet matchstick carrots (also known as shredded carrots from a bag)! flavorful fresh mint! crunchy roasted cashews! tangy lime juice! bright rice vinegar! savory sesame oil! a smidge of spicy chili paste!
oh man… i can always tell when i have a really good recipe on my hands when writing about it either makes me get up from the computer to go eat some of the leftovers OR makes me sad that i already ate all of the leftovers. luckily, today i’m glad i still have a little bit of crunchy asian slaw left in my fridge because, hello dinner!
and if i didn’t have leftovers of this crunchy asian slaw, i could basically throw together another batch in less than 20 minutes since all of these ingredients have a permanent spot in my fridge and the slaw itself is quick to put together. cutting the radishes into matchsticks is the most time-consuming part and we only need one cup of them so it doesn’t take thaaaat long to slice them up. and it’s totally worth it.
because this crunchy asian slaw totally deserves a spot at your next asian taco night (you have those, right?), barbecue (presumably it will stop snowing someday and we will drag the grill out of the back of the garage and reclaim it from the spiders, no?), or summer picnic… by which i mean leftovers at your desk tomorrow.
ps – if you like this crunchy asian slaw, you might also like:
did you make this recipe? i’d love to know what you think of it! leave a comment below and share a picture on instagram with the hashtag #tastyseasons.
crunchy asian slaw is a flavor-packed, no mayo slaw that’s perfectly at home at asian taco night or a summer picnic or barbecue. this quick, make ahead side dish is a crunchy complement to a range of dishes. enjoy this easy to assemble, gluten free, dairy free, and vegan recipe today!
- 2 cups (186 g. / 6 ½ oz.) thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup (105 g. / 3 ¾ oz.) matchstick cut radishes
- 1 cup (68 g. / 2 3/8 oz.) matchstick cut carrots (i used precut shredded carrots)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sambal oelek
- ¼ cup (34 g. / 1 1/8 oz.) roughly chopped roasted cashews
- 2 packed tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- in a medium size, non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, radishes, and carrots.
- in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, salt, and sambal oelek. shake well then pour over the vegetables. toss well to coat the vegetables in the dressing. let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. top with cashews and mint; serve. this is a great make ahead dish because the longer the vegetables marinate in the dressing, the better. keep the mint separate until you are ready to serve the slaw. the slaw keeps for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.